Causes of Vietnam War
- Vietnam's desire for freedom : After WWII, France reclaimed Vietnam as a colony. The Communist Vietminh fought against the French.
- The Domino Theory : The U.S. believed if the Communists took over Vietnam, communism would spread throughout Southeast Asia.
- South Vietnam fails to comply with Geneva Accords : After French rule ended in 1954, elections to unify Vietnam under one rule were set for 1956. However, the leader of South Vietnam refused to hold them.
- North Vietnam attempts to unite country under Communist rule : In 1959, North Vietnam began sending weapons to Vietminh in the south in hopes of uniting the country under Communist rule.
- U.S. supports anti-communist South Vietnam : The United States began to send South Vietnam military advisers and troops.